Sunday, March 11, 2007

KFC Hopia


my brother went home bringing along a box of hopia bought from a local guadalupe market. hopia has been one of my favorite local bakery item and i usually get one from any bakery to check if it is ok or not. (the other item i like is a local pan de sal)

hopia is a flaky pastry perhaps originated from the chinese ancestors. common fillings include kundol, munggo, ube and baboy.

hopia baboy is a misnomer. no pork meat is inside. my lola told me that they use pork fat when preparing the hopia to infuse pork flavor. my hunny once had a bakery. she told me that the hopia baboy only contains sweet white mongo paste but with caramelized red onions as an added flavor. again, no pork meat was used.

but going back to the KFC hopia, the box came in with about a dozen hopias inside. very excitedly, i got my first bite. first taste gave me memories of mc donalds burgers. but on the succeeding bites, it dawned into me that it tastes like KFC fried chicken!!!

I wonder if Ribbonettes found the formula behind the 11 secret herbs and spice which KFC is protecting.

Ribbonettes is available in the metro at different local markets. Try their special hopia baboy and let me know if you taste the flavor of a real KFC fried chicken!!!

Ribbonettes Bakeshoppe
Hopia Baboy
41 Dingginbayan St.,
Tipas, Taguig
Metro Manila

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't know about the onions. What I do know is that the Tagalog hopiang baboy is the Capampangan hopiang cundol. They do use lard to better preserve it and to make it more tasty.

i♥pinkc00kies said...

i love tipas hopia!!! ube and monggo :)